Frequently Asked Questions - Printed Paper Maps
FAQ's about FHS printed maps.
I am trying to use your paper map with my GPS but they seem to be off. What's going on?
This typically occurs when your GPS units reference datum is set differently than the datum in which the map was drawn. The vast majority of our freshwater maps use the NAD27 datum and the default datum for most GPS devices is WGS84. Refer to your units manual to find out how to change the default setting to NAD27.
How often does FHS update their maps?
We print our maps in small quantities in order to facilitate regular and frequent updating. Every time a map is reprinted we check our files for update information and take the appropriate update action.
I've noticed a discrepancy on one your maps, who should I contact?
Please let us know what you've found by emailing us at email@example.com. Please provide as much information as possible about what you have found including, the map title and FHS map number.
Your maps are almost indestructible, what are they made of?
We have carefully chosen special materials to print our maps on. They are more of a plastic than they are paper.
What does this symbol on my map mean?
Please look at our online legend to match the symbol with its real-world definition.
The GPS coordinates on your map don't match the input options on my GPS.
There are several formats that GPS coordinates can be input to a device and represented. The most common are:
1) Degrees, Minutes, Seconds - XX" XX' XX"
2) Decimal Degrees - XX.XXXXXX'
3) Degrees, Decimal Minutes - XX" XX.XXX'
It is important that your unit is set to the correct input format as the GPS coordinates provided otherwise you can appear to be up to a full degree off.
I am part of a lake association and we would like to have our lake mapped, will you do this?
Sorry, Fishing Hot Spots, Inc. does not perform contract lake mapping.
Free Shipping Option:
- Most orders are shipped within 2 business days.
- Orders are shipped via United States postal Service.
Expidited Shipping Options:
- Next Day Air: add $30
- 2nd Day Air: add $20
- Orders shipped via UPS (no P.O. boxes)
- Orders placed before 3pm CST will ship the same day (if order is placed on placed on a weekend, the order will ship the following business day)
- Orders will not be delivered on weekends when these expidited shipping options are chosen